The collar put around the neck of a dog as an identification mark or to have some control over your pet is called a Dog Collar. Sometimes these collars are used for fashion. Several types of dog collars are found in the market these days.
Varieties of dogs need different variety Collars. But you have to choose the right collar for your doggy so that the collar serves its purpose. Collars are often used while going for a walk with your dog and even at the time of their training. Read the article below to get an idea about the various types of dog collars.
Types and Varieties of Dog Collars
1. Break-Away Collars – This type of collar prevents dogs from getting chocked. But when the collar gets attached to a leash, it will not open and thus you can have a proper control on the dog. But the safety feature about it is that if the loops get caught on something, the dog can be pulled out.
2. Buckle Collars – These collars are made of Cotton, Nylon or Leather and this buckle collars are used to fasten the dogs. Since these collars can be adjusted, they do not cause any suffocation to your pet.
3. Choke Chains Collars- These chains are mainly used while training the dogs. But if you don’t know how to use it properly its better not to use them as these can cause serious injury to the neck and back. Thus it is always recommended to be used only by experienced and qualified experts. Never use them to tie your puppies.
4. Electronic Collars – They are used mainly as a correction method during a training course. The intensity depends upon the disobedience of the dog and thus they should be used only by experts and professionals.
5. Harnesses Collars– Harnesses are used to tie around the chest and abdomen of the dog. Dogs having a tendency to pull backwards must be tied with Harnesses as it does not put any pressure on the neck. Even if your dog has some medical problems in the neck area, it is better to use harnesses. Usually this collar is used for sled and carting dogs so that the body weight can be distributed evenly.
6. Head Halters Collars– They are little like harnesses and are mainly used for giving training to a dog. These collars should not be used to unattended dogs for a long time. Though they’re very similar to muzzles and allow dog to eat and drink. Use this head halters collars while your pet is walking with you and not trying to run away.
7. Prong Collars – This types of collars are much safe and effective than the choke collars. These collars don’t cause any neck and back injury to the dogs. But use the collars carefully and never leave your dog unattended while tying up with this collar.
8. Rolled Leather Collars- It is the best than the flat ones. These flat ones having plastic fastenings could be take off easily and are thus called Quick-Release Collars.
9. Slip Collars – These collars made of nylon, cotton, metal or leather have a ring on one of the ends of the collar. The collar which is looped through the ring can be adjusted accordingly.
These are some different varieties of dog collars that you can select depending on your need and choice.