The perfect environment for growing up a child is when he is staying with both of his parents. But these days the concept of Single Parenting has increased and many kids are growing up under the care and custody of a single parent. This may be either because of the death of the Spouse or Divorce or you yourself have taken the decision of being a single parent.
The effects of single parenting may totally change the life of your child if he is not taken proper care of. He may feel totally out of the world and this may bring frustration and depression in his life. Thus if you are a single parent your responsibilities are doubled and you have to take extra care of your kid to lead a normal life like other children.
Often a single parent family may act as a bonus for your kid. Though there are lots of sacrifices and things are not always proper as per your wishes, there are some positive effects rather advantages of being a single parent.
Advantages of Single Parenting
1. If you are a single parent your bond with your kid is much stronger than other normal parents. Since you are the only one upon whom your child is dependent and you are the only one with whom he/she can share his thoughts, you both develop a closer bond. The love of your child that is normally shared by both parents will be showered on you totally. Since you are the only one with whom he/she is spending all his time at home a permanent relationship is formed.
2. Your child becomes more matured at an early stage. After a certain time he/she will become your friend and partner rather than just a kid. This will bring him more responsibilities and child will start walking ahead of time. They will start understanding what is right and wrong earlier than other kids.
3. Single parents often take the help of their friends and relatives to raise the child and thus the kid will have the opportunity to mingle with lots of others at his childhood. This will make him socialize and develop his communication skills better.
4. After your child grows up you will depend upon them to take certain decisions and this will make them more confident. He/she will help you in decision making and they will become independent. Children brought up under single parenting always learn things from their experience, which make them, face the life more boldly and confidently. He will not be scared to face any dispute or difficult situations in life.
Though the single parents try their level best to raise their child without any mistake but it is not always possible. A little mistake could change the life of your kid. Children are basically very sensitive and thus you have to be very careful while dealing with their emotions. Single Parenting has certain negative effects or disadvantages which are as follows.
Disadvantages of Single Parenting
1. There could be some problem regarding the proper education of your kid. Sometimes single parents are not financially that much strong which could affect the further studies of your child. You may not afford the tuition fees of your child’s higher studies.
2. If you are a divorcee and is a single parent, this may affect your child a lot. He/she feels a lot of stress upon themselves. When they are specially marked in the society they feels depressed and this leads them to consume alcohol and drugs just to forget everything. To avoid all these you have to engage your kid to various extra-curricular activities so that they could not get involved into all these.
3. Sometimes being a single parent you may burst out your frustrations and problems upon your child. This is extremely harmful for your kid. Children learn everything from parents and thus your behavior could affect him a lot
4. Staying with a single parent, the child sometimes becomes over possessive. This is not good for both the child and you. Again if they sees any dispute between relationships at an early stage he/she may become introvert and try to hide themselves within a shell. They will start avoiding people. Being the guardian it is your duty to convince him that even he could lead a smooth life with only one of his parents.
Single parenting has both Positive and Negative Effects. But we have to take care that children brought up by single parents also lead a healthy life. Children are the Gift of God, so it is the duty of the society to take care of them. Everyone of us has the duty to see that kids having single parents are not harassed and insulted, rather they should be respected and treated properly just like any other normal kid.