A Drop Ceiling is a Secondary Ceiling that is usually hung below the main structural ceiling and is composed of Square or Rectangular Tiles that hangs several inches below the existing ceiling. It is regarded as one of the modern architecture these days.
Usually Drop Ceiling consists of a Grid-Work of Metal Channels in an upside-down shape of ‘T’. They are composed of translucent materials and the common size of the tile is 2×4 feet. They can be found in different materials like- Wood, Metal, Plastic or Mineral Fibers. Select the right material to match with your home decor.
How a Drop Ceiling is Installed
At first you have to install a framework of light weight. It has to be installed like a Grid-like Matrix consisting of beams and cross trees. The grid is hung by Hanger Wires and after the grid is installed, the panels are tiled up within individual pockets.
The various Steps of Installation are-
1. Choose the style of the ceiling and check out how many drop ceiling panels you require.
2. Now center the panels within the room. Please be ensured that all the panels are of equal size.
3. Minimum ceiling height that is required to install a drop ceiling is 7 feet 6 inches and the drop ceiling has to be installed atleast 5 inches below any light. If there is any plumbing then it should be installed atleast below 3 inches.
4. Then follow the manufacturer’s instruction to install the ceiling perpendicular to the joints. For this you need eyehooks to the joists and a wire to hang from the ceiling. Use only those hardware and wires that are recommended.
5. Don’t install a Drop Ceiling at an angel. Cut long pieces of wire by Tin Snips. Carefully secure all the intersections in the grid.
6. The actual panels should be a little larger than the hole in the grid. After the grid is installed, place the panels into their places.
Why Drop Ceiling Should be Used
Drop ceiling is usually installed to hide or cover up plumbing and wires that runs below a ceiling structure. Although this type of ceiling is very common in Offices and Schools, they could be beautifully installed and designed inside your home because of certain benefits.
Benefits of Drop Ceiling-
Sound Control – Because of its texture, drop ceilings are great absorbers of residual noise. Concrete basements often produce Echoes and Laundry Rooms often seem to be loud. So installation of drop ceiling will be the best idea to these places. Due to their fibrous make-up, the panels could easily soak up the sound. So if you have a home theater at your home, drop ceiling will be the perfect match.
Cover-ups – Drop ceiling is the best idea to cover up the faults like- Pipes and Electrical Wiring inside a room. Don’t worry, in spite of such cover up you could easily lift the panel and get access to these equipments
Insulation – It is good to provide additional insulation overhead for more noise absorption. You could either use foam or can purchase insulated panels for this job.
Leveling – In case there is any level problem of an uneven ceiling, drop ceiling can correct it by simply making some alterations in the framework. This is because the metal grids can be adjusted to different heights.
Cost-Effective – Since the materials used in drop ceiling is economical and it does not require much construction it is very cost effective to install drop ceiling.
Few important points should be taken care of while installing Drop Ceiling:
1. It is always better to draw a diagram of the ceiling to be installed on a graph paper before starting the constructional work.
2. Get all the panels equal in size and get the right number of panels.
3. Keep a saw handy to cut panels other than soft, absorbent and drywall.
4. Take the help of the nearest home improvement store to cut the panels.
So if you are planning to install a non-conventional way of ceiling at your home go for drop ceiling. If you want to give a unique look to your room install a Drop Ceiling and match the tiles and design as per your interior decoration. Since the quality of materials used for its construction is quite good, the maintenance cost is also low.