In order to avoid a boring plain ceiling you could add a little Texture to your ceiling. A ceiling, if rightly textured could add a new dimension to the room. It is neither expensive nor a difficult task, so you could yourself do this by having the required ingredients and a creative mind to get some new design ideas.
A Textured Ceiling gives an unusual touch to your room. You can use your imagination while designing a textured ceiling. Because of its decorative look, many people now are opting for textured ceiling types. Remodeling a ceiling with texture gives an innovative look to your room.
An Idea on Textured Ceiling
Various eye-catching designs can be made while Texturing your Ceiling. The tools and techniques have created an infinite number of style, some of which are as follows-
Combed Design- In this case the Sheetrock Mud is applied with a Trowel having triangular teeth to the ceiling. This gives a combed look. Specially this design is made near the light fixtures. It is done in concentric circles to have a spiral pattern. This design made near the light fixtures give an aesthetic look.
Knockdown Sheetrock Design- This is same as the above design but here the consistency of mud is thin. In case of this design a crow’s foot stomp brush is used to apply the mud on the ceiling.
Roller Sheetrock Design- Sheetrock is a type of mud that is used to give a texture to the ceiling. Mix the mud with some water and this mixture is applied to the ceiling with the roller handles. Now create your own design while applying strokes using the roller.
Trowel-on Design– In order to give a plaster like look to the ceiling texturing material is applied using a standard Trowel. The plaster look can be varied as per the consistency of the texturing material.
Wooden Design– If you would like to match the wooden furniture of your room with the ceiling then go for a wooden texture in your ceiling. Use wooden beams to texture the ceiling to give a classy look to the room
Don’t waste money on hiring someone for this job. Just get the full information on how to texture a ceiling. Usually Textured Ceilings are found in Conference Rooms, Office Cabins, Hotels & Restaurants and Showrooms.
Necessary Items Required for Texturing:
- Brushes for Painting
- Drywall Joint Compound
- Tapping Knife/Straight-edged Trowel
- Thick Cloth/Plastic Sheets
- Wallpaper Brush
The following steps should be followed while Texturing a Ceiling
1. Before starting the texturing, try to empty the room. If it is not possible to remove all furniture, cover up them with thick clothes or plastic sheets.
2. In order to avoid any damage to the floor, cover the floor also with thick drop cloths or plastic sheets.
3. If your ceiling is covered with wallpaper, remove the wall papers before starting the texturing work.
4. Edge the entire ceiling with a thin layer of the drywall joint compound. Make a layer of 1/8 inches thick. If you want a rough texture make the coat thicker.
5. Now start texturing either by using old paint brushes or wallpaper brushes and create new patterns.
6. Create a texture by using sponges and by either stroking or swirling them on the wet surface.
7. Use stencil while making a pre-created design.
8. Use a taping knife or a straight-edged trowel to make patterns of your choice.
9. After you are done with the texturing, go for a thin layer on the left out parts.
Various benefits derived by texturing a ceiling are that a textured ceiling act as waterproof to your ceiling. Sometimes in various offices and workplaces it acts as a good sound absorber and acts as soundproof. Apart from being durable, they have been proved to be long lasting also. It can with stand the various changes in weather also.